Sunday 22 May 2011

A Dress with Limited Supplies

I found this fabric in one of my plastic containers which holds most of my fabric collections that are bigger than a fat quarter about 2 weeks ago. It looks like only a part of it was used probably for a quilt which only required several blocks of this fabric or for a fabric book cover. (I always buy more than what I need just in case I decide to use more). Last night I thought I would make one dress and this fabric came to mind. I was about to start to sew when I saw that I only had a white thread (it wasnt even white it was ecru). I decided that the thread color wasnt a problem because using white may even be better because of the background color of the fabric which was dark blue but I didnt have the rest of the stuff that I will need to complete the dress like bias tape, garter etc.

Wearing Soft Treasures' creativity hat, I decided to make my own bias tape and instead of using elastic to gather the fabric in the front and back I used the same bias tape I created to gather the fabric. Then I decided to create a pocket in the shape of a heart. I found several wooden flower buttons in my button box (I think these are used for embellishing scrapbook pages as they really are very light) and placed one button on each corner where the fabric is gathered and another button in the pocket and see the dress I made for Dress A Girl Australia with just a fabric, a thread and a pair of scissors in hand.

And if you want to see where I placed the buttons -


Instructions on how I completed this dress with limited supplies will be posted on this site very soon. At the end of the day, with just the fabric, thread and pair of scissors, it is still a dress and truly handmade with love.

No comments:

Post a Comment