Saturday 22 October 2011

What's Up with Dress A Girl Australia

When I came back from my holiday, I experimented on T-shirt dresses and then....bang....I stopped doing anything including Dress A Girl activities with the exception of going to work everyday. I would start to do something and then let it go unfinished. After a 10-day hiatus from doing just about anything, am back doing what I love doing in whatever spare time I could find and that is 'crafting'. I've started making dresses again and I think I will be busy in the next few weeks making handmades to sell for Christmas. Have a pile of ideas for Advent calendars and a bunch of fabric panels to make into calendars and Christmas Tree quilts. These are some of my favourite things to make especially for Christmas.

Click on the link below if you want to see some of my fabric advent calendars and my favourite Christmas Tree
https://picasaweb.google.com/dressagirlaustralia/ChristmasTreeQuiltsAndAdventCalendars?authuser=0&feat=directlink.

During those inactive 10 days though, I still was able to receive some donations from wonderful people, still found the energy to drop a few Dress A Girl labels inside an envelope to mail, also managed to convince someone to start using her sewing machine which was still inside its original box and somehow managed to reply to emails that I received enquiring about the campaign although replying to those emails were not as quick as I would have replied before . Which reminds me, by the way, to let anyone know that the best way to get in touch with me regarding Dress A Girl Australia activities is via email (dressagirlaustralia@gmail.com).

Here are some major activities that happened in Dress A Girl Australia during those lazy days:

1) Received a dozen T-shirts for girls of assorted sizes from a friend (i-craft i-sew). Thank you!
Instead of giving them to girls to wear as is, I was able to convince my friend to make them into t-shirt dresses as then I was experimenting on making t-shirt dresses. No need to buy the fabrics as I have lots of them from my personal collection including extra cuttings I have saved from previous dresses I made (am not only a fabric hoarder but am also a saver of the smallest size one could imagine) and we really didnt need that big fabric sizes. I showed her how I would have done it and...woohoo...check out the dresses that have been made from our combined efforts ((her time+donated shirts) + my fabric materials)

Here is the link to all the t-shirt dresses made so far out of the 12 t-shirts.
         https://picasaweb.google.com/dressagirlaustralia/ICraftISew?authuser=0&feat=directlink

A link is also available on the left navigation bar under 'Dresses Received by Dress A Girl Australia - 'i-craft i-sew'.

2. Received an additional 6 pillowcases from Samantha Richards of Wollongong, NSW. Thank you!

I am thinking of starting to make pillowcase dress kits out of these 6 pillowcases. A high school classmate wants to help make pillowcase dresses and I plan to send her kits in the next couple of weeks. She is going to make them into dresses and then distribute to deserving little girls hopefully to wear on Christmas Day. I hope to complete the dress kits in the next few days. The kit is still missing the instructions which needs to be printed but my old and best mate 'printer' has run out of black ink.


3. Last but not the least, two dresses I was able to make in the last few days which brings Dress A Girl Australia's total dresses collected and on hand for distribution in December to 26. Still a very, very long shot from my goal of 500 dresses but based on the calendar, Christmas Day is still 63 days away so am still very positive that this goal will be met.

The bundle of laces given to me by a highschool classmate is now making a difference in the dresses I make.

Come and join me and everyone else who in their own little way have contributed to this very worthwhile cause of dressing little girls around the world for each of these little girls deserve to own at least one dress. With Christmas fast approaching, now would be the best time to share and spare to these little deserving girls to make their Christmas day something different, something new, something memorable this year.

For more information, please write to dressagirlaustralia@gmail.com. Dress A Girl Australia would love to receive those spare fabrics you may have and/or pillowcases to make into dresses.

No comments:

Post a Comment