Sunday 26 May 2013

Active Dress Collections

A friend asked me why I keep on counting dresses and I told her I have large collections going on at the moment with Dress A Girl Australia and I dont want to miss the opportunity to be able to provide dresses to these children in several locations.  Then she asked me why dont you organize a charity drive again the same way you did last year and I told her it might be a bit late for it and most especially that there are several locations to allocate almost at the same time. (I did notice that I havent done any charity drives since 2013 started until she mentioned it.) Good on her for reminding me. :-)

Anyway, I thought I would share with everyone the currently very active dress collections I am doing and have also noted the cut-off dates for the dresses to be in as I need extra time to prep them up and send to the groups who will be handcarrying them on our behalf. For those who are donating and want their dresses to go to a specific location, please include a note specifying your location of preference and include it in your parcel (if you miss inserting a note, you can send them to me on the email - dressagirlaustralia@gmail.com)

Here are some important reminders and tips :

1) For locations such as Cambodia, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh & Nepal, preferences will be given to dresses with sleeves or dresses that covers the shoulders.
2) Size Preferences -
          Sri Lanka, Bangladesh & Nepal - Sizes between 4 to 10
          Cambodia - Sizes between 6 to 12

                *** Some of these locations are very conservative so longer lengths will be much appreciated. At least a dress that covers the knees. If a size you are making comes with a certain length to the dress, an extra inch or 2 added to the length would be much appreciated. ****
               *** As usual, take care of the necklines that they are not too wide for the children ***

3) Again, no thin or flimsy type of fabrics as they will not look good. If you are using the flimsy type, please make sure it has a lining. Dresses do not have to be very fancy. What is important is that the dress is wearable and will last longer or outgrown by the child.

I have put on-hold other collections I have started(India, Kenya, Phils, Vietnam, Mbale Uganda) to give priority to these collections. Some of these collections are almost filled up, some are on-going and some are just starting. Once I have finalized what I have counted and allocated, I will give an update (most likely by the end of this week -1st of June) so everyone would know where I am still lacking. The on-hold collections will restart once I have filled up these collections. I have provided you with links to the albums (by a  click of the mouse on the image). I will be moving collections to these albums soon so the donors(old and new) will know where their donations are going.
Minimum of 150 dresses.  
End date : July 2013

Minimum of 100 dresses.  
End date : August 2013

Number of dresses needed : 75  
End Date : September 2013
Number of dresses is currently being finalized.  
End date : September 2013
Combined number of dresses and shorts is 240.  
End date : August 2013
The Northern Uganda parcels need to be posted by the end of August to arrive in Uganda before December. As soon as I get the right number of allocations between the boys and the girls, I will start packing and send them off. The Cambodia, Sri Lanka and Nepal collections will be handcarried by a group of volunteers. Bangladesh will be under the care of my niece who works for the UN in Bangladesh.

Please be guided accordingly with the tips and dates of completion to avoid inconveniences. I dont think my one-dress-a-day journey will be able to meet these requirements although I will be trying hard to meet these targets (including the ones on-hold) so any dress donations you can provide or fabric materials I can use to make dresses will be greatly appreciated. If you feel you have any questions to ask, please feel free to send me an email at dressagirlaustralia@gmail.com.

Thank you in advance!

2 comments:

  1. I think you must be several people all rolled into one incredibly organised and industrious lady, with a heart to match. The fact that you work full time in a high pressure job just adds to the awe in which we hold you.

    The old saying "If you want a job done then ask a busy person" certainly holds true in your case. You continue to inspire us each and every day, Gigi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Frances, thank you. I am actually enjoying every minute of what am doing...that is probably why it comes so easy. :-)

      Delete